Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eternal question: WEATHER IN GEORGIA

 

Here we go again, my dear Ladies! I hope you are doing well and doing your best at planning your trip to join us here, at Agnes Scott!
I would like to talk about weather conditions in Decatur and Georgia, the items you need to bring from your home country and tips for your traveling.

            I remember asking my host advisor about weather conditions in Atlanta. She told me it might be 110 degrees Fahrenheit  when I would arrive. To be honest, I am the person, who is used to Celsius degrees, just like the rest of the world, so I was shocked when I saw 110 degrees! When we used to 100 Celsius to indicate the temperature when water boils, 100 Fahrenheit used in the USA shows it is normally hot – 37.8 Celsius. Thus, please have your converters ready ladies! You will need them to convert temperature, length, and weight.
            Back to the weather – August is the time of extreme heat and humidity in Atlanta. It is pretty hard to breathe, if you were born in the country with dry climate like Kyrgyzstan, for example. Moreover, it is not possible to wear one T-shirt for two days if you are outside all the time. Temperature in the buildings is usually cool, so you are fine as soon as you are inside.   When I first came I was trying to be inside as much as possible, and used to ask the sky for  rain every time I stepped outside. It was funny when it finally rained for the first time. I ran outside, but very soon realized that rain did not help at all. It was again hard to breathe; it was still hot. However, in two and half weeks I was okay with the weather, I got more or less used to it! Then, September brought cold Northern winds and weather was just perfect!
            Fall is extremely beautiful and long in Georgia. We wore shorts till November, as it never got too cold! Everything I would advise you to have for the autumn is a proper windbreaker, umbrella and rain boots. If you do not have rain boots or they are not popular in your country, do not worry, you can get the boots at Target (your host advisors will drive you to Target during the orientation). I would also advise you to bring a proper camera, or buy one here, as the fall in Georgia is worth capturing!

-->
Winter in Georgia is not the winter I am used to living! It usually snows in my country and temperature gets down to -20 Celsius. I haven’t seen snow this winter! It rains a lot, the wind gets wild, but it barely snows.  Temperature extreme is 0 Celsius average. Thus, consider taking a good coat, scarves and, as important, a nice hat! Please, take care of your head, as wind here is merciless! One thing that I love about Agnes Scott is beautiful campus with green grass even in the middle of January!
            It is my first year at Agnes Scott College, so I do not know what the spring will be like! I am expecting rains, and here is one more thing I want to tell you about Georgia rains.  A majority of the time “it rains cats and dogs”, extremely heavily. Water puddles  are everywhere so it can gradually ruin even the best shoes. That is why people in Georgia are so wise to wear the rain boots and raincoats. Moreover, I am stressing again, get a proper umbrella. If you are an exchange student, you usually do not plan to get a car in the USA, which means you will walk a lot. Umbrellas that are sold in the pharmacies or shopping chains are usually unreliable taking into account Georgia wind. Thus, you should choose whether to buy an umbrella of good quality at home, or here in the US.
            Well, let us check what you need to be ready for Georgia weather: 


·      Rain boots


 


















·      Windbreaker





















  •       Coat



 
 




























·      Umbrella 





















  • Scarf


















·      Cap








  •       Cotton T-shirs

-->

            That is all I wanted to tell you about the weather, please let me know if you have any other questions.
           Thank you for spending your time reading this information!  

Faithfully Yours, 
Nagima Kulbaeva 

Agnes Scott after the winter rain





No comments:

Post a Comment