Wednesday, March 6, 2013

10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT AGNES SCOTT










My Wonderful Ladies! 

I hope you all are doing all right! By the way, here in the South of the US it is common to say “y’all” instead of “you all”.  Today my blog is called “10 Things You Must Know About Agnes”. It is very common for study abroad students to build the image of the campus, as well as community, based on the information they  find  mainly from online sources. However, sometimes the constructive text given on the college’s website is not enough and you want to ask a current student for her impressions. Therefore, I am here for you, sharing my experience, my vision and understanding of everything I see at Agnes. Thus, if you want some officially approved and edited information, please visit ASC’s website. I am not a professional movie editor, nor I am professional blogger. I just want to use each opportunity to help you be prepared to study and live here. Finally, I have made a video for this blogpost, so you can watch and have a better understanding of what I am writing about.

Well, let’s continue with 10 things you must know about Agnes Scott College.

# 1.



We Call Each Other Scotties

As you might know already, every school in the US usually has a mascot.  Our mascot is a Scottie dog, which is, I must admit, adorable. The first day I came here my host adviser told me something like “being a Scottie”. At that time I was so unfamiliar with Agnes Scott, that I did not pay attention to her words. Only several weeks later, when I entered the cultural environment of my college, I felt that very different sense of unity, which today I call being a Scottie. Associating yourself with the term of “Scottie” is more than just being present at college. It is more about engaging the social life and challenges of college. This feeling of unity of all wise women around you sets you free of stereotypes and the desire to copy somebody as everybody here accepts you the way you are. Thus then, when you feel you are a Scottie, you will remain one for the rest of your life! I do not know what official sources say about “Scotties”. I just told you my own experience of me becoming one of them. Moreover, before your classes start, you will have an Honor Pledge Ceremony, where you will pledge to be honest, open-minded and a responsible person. I wrote “person” on purpose, because you are signing this pledge for more than your period of study, you are signing it as a promise to be wise woman for the rest of your life. 

#2



We have a Black Cat Week

I have read about Black Cat when long before coming to ASC. As I knew it was the brightest tradition of the college, I couldn’t wait to see that event live. Moreover, I was not wrong in my expectations!

Joelle Atere-Roberts, Black Cat Formal


As for me, I want to share my own impressions.
Black Cat week is a perfect opportunity for new international students to get to know new people, as there are lots of activities that require collective performance.
The decorations were all around the campus and I loved them (I just bought my camera at that time, so I had great time taking pictures of every single piece of decoration!). Actually, it was surprising though, how much effort students put into preparing garlands and fancy cardboard women. The funniest part is probably the Bonfire, you do not want to miss it Ladies!
Eventually, the most intriguing part is the Black Cat formal dance, of course. ASC usually rents a building for the official party. Do not worry about the transportation – it is all included in the ticket you purchase. Please, make sure you purchase your ticket beforehand, for they are more expensive when at the door. You can also invite your date for this celebration; it is all up to you. Personally, I was without a date and still had some fun with my friends, who were mainly international students (American students usually have dates). Thus, it is a wonderful week full of fun; do not miss it!

#3



Date Raffle

Date Raffle, the beginning
This is an extremely interesting tradition at ASC conducted by Witkaze club. Annually, several men are invited to the Agnes Scott College Date Raffle. Those men are “sold” to the girls from Agnes to join them on Black Cat Official! Do not be scared, there is nothing inhumane about this tradition. Men come voluntarily, and all money they are “auctioned” for goes to charity. It is just a very entertaining way of fundraising. The night of the event Evans Dining Hall is overcrowded, you can see approximately all students here. Moreover, it is not only guys whoa re auctioned, but the ladies as well! I definitely advise you to attend the Date Raffle; it is not the event to miss!

  #4  


International Fashion Show


Our Pakistani beauty on Fashion Show

As a matter of fact, this is the event I enjoyed the most! I was backstage photographer and a model at the same time. What we do for the international Fashion Show is show our students traditional costumes from all around the world. The students are divided into two parts – one smaller fraction is modeling and the other is enjoying and watching.
It was unforgettable and very helpful experience – to see so many traditional costumes! Now I know what people wear in Pakistan and Bangladesh, for example. I had a costume of Saudi Arabian woman, the abaya and hijab basically. It was very beautiful and elegant. The other amazing factor that played huge role in leaving such a strong impression was the delicious food! We had samosas, the eastern fried dumplings and many other dishes.
The atmosphere of a celebration was wonderful! Our girls had a chance to experience what it is like to be a model. Putting on make up, learning how to walk on the runway, it all created a very specific spirit which somehow united the whole backstage and this union went up to the stage, where people greeted us with applause! What can be better after midterms?

 #5



International Students decorate the Christmas Tree at President’s House


President Elizabeth Kiss and Karolina Klimczak at the Christmas tree party

It was an amazing event that created the very special “Christmas mood” for me. All the international students of Agnes Scott were invited to college President Kiss’s house. It was a surprise for me, as back in my country the head of the university would never have international students at his house! Plus, some days prior to the remarkable event we had a great Christmas party at Evans Dining Hall, where President Kiss made a speech for us.
Well, we decided to go to the Christmas tree decorating party, even though it was not clear what to expect. I did not know our President well enough to make any predictions. However, when we came all the shyness I had flown away! President Kiss welcomed us, showed her house and eventually led us to the room with the Christmas tree. There were about twenty international students; we had some snacks, talked about everything and nothing at the same time. Personally, I loved the event and, I must admit, we had decorated an amazing Christmas tree! 

We have decorated the best Christmas tree ever!

 #6


International Express 

Last minutes of International Express Kyrgyzstan

How much do you know about your country? This is the first question you must ask yourself before applying for International Express. Basically, this event is a country presentation, where you are given an hour to show ASC students and staff what your country is like, and might as well be that you get some of your traditional food. I made a country presentation less than a week ago, I talked about my country, made a video and tried to get everybody as closer to my country as possible. Representing a country is a huge responsibility, as every word of yours will build the image of your homeland in the heads of people who came to listen to you. Moreover, I have visited about 5 country presentations and learned a lot from them! International Express just shows you something that nothing in online sources or books can show.  You feel the atmosphere of the country, as if you have truly spent an hour there! If you are on campus and you learn that International Express is going to take place, please do not miss it (the food served is usually fantastic!). Eventually, in case you are planning to represent your country, bring your traditional costume or some souvenirs to show!

 



#7



GILC

198 participants of GILC-2013

Georgia International Leadership Conference is annual event that takes place in Rock Eagle 4-H Conference Center, Eatonton, Georgia. Agnes Scott College gives you the opportunity to take part in the conference. You will have an adviser who will drive you and take care of all the logistics problems you might face. Thus, do not worry for the transportation and accommodation. Your goal is to attain as many leadership skills and make as many friends as possible! GILC looks like a huge melting pot! International students or students who have studied abroad are eligible to take part in the conference. This simply means that you will get a chance to meet people from all over the world; you will get to know people from every continent (except for Antarctica)! All of them have experience of traveling, overcoming barriers and stereotypes, free of any type of discrimination and inequality. I am glad I participated in the conference and get to know many wise young people, future leaders of our world!

#8 



The Campus

I shall do a very special video on every part of ASC campus! It is the most gorgeous place I have ever been to! When I first came here, it felt just like Hogwarts (if you know your Harry Potter), and I knew I was going to love this place!
We have several buildings, and Agnes Scott College is very small compared to other universities in Georgia. Campus looks very harmonious as all the building are combined into one style. Moreover, in the beginning of the year I used to ask first year students why they had chosen ASC. There were lots of girls who stated: “I came here, saw the campus and understood I want to study here!” I love the campus as well and hope you will get a chance to see this sophisticated masterpiece of architecture!

View to my favorite part of Agnes Scott College

#9



Atlanta

I would be bored if I did not have Atlanta! Decatur is situated a 10 minutes drive from the South’s largest city – Atlanta. As the matter of fact, Agnes and Decatur are extremely calm and safe places. You can focus on your studies, or bring your children up here. However, sometimes we all get to the point when we need a big city, to feel the energy of the megalopolis, see all the people rushing back and forth!
I love Atlanta, it is very different from New York or Chicago. It is a delightful combination of big city and friendly cheerful people! Visit this city whenever you’ve got a chance!
Family in Piedmont Park, Atlanta, Sunday afternoon


#10



We have the best Artists

For me Agnes has this different atmosphere – crazy mix of scientist and artists. However, as I am not close to science, I cannot judge our science majors. Being in love with art, I admire our artists, their talents, be that on canvas, or on stage. If you make it to Agnes Scott College, please visit at least one of our concerts and enjoy wonderful music and performance! 
A very special Valentine, Dana Fine Arts building, Agnes Scott College



No comments:

Post a Comment